Today’s guest post is from Catherine Castle, a funny, brilliant writer who addresses a problem a lot of us share! Welcome, Catherine!
I’m currently reading a romance novel that deals in part with OCD, specifically hoarding. A minor character in the book has a problem with hoarding, especially paper. As I’m reading, I began to look around my house and think about my organized, disorganized piles and wonder just how close I am to this problem. It’s messy in spots, but I’m nowhere near a hoarder—yet.
I am, however, in spite of my best efforts, definitely disorganized—especially this week.
Twice I’ve had authors email me asking if I’m still planning on being guests on their blogs. There’s a check by their names on my calendar, indicating I’ve written the post. I can see the finished post when I go to the computer file. One of the names on the paper calendar even says I sent the post 2 weeks ago. Confused, I search the emails on my phone to see when I sent the posts. Note the double checking method here that’s supposed to keep things straight. (Only God knows what will happen if I lose my phone’s 2000 saved emails.) I discover, to my horror, I sent the one post to the wrong person and the other never went out. Yep. Disorder is reigning in my house at the moment.
So, I’ve decided that a bit of humor is in order, here. Mostly because laughter is the best medicine, and if I can’t laugh at my mistakes the alternative isn’t pretty.
Here are my top ten hints that you might be disorganized.
- You have organized, disorganized piles. Don’t kid yourself. You’re not really organized. I know I’m not.
- You own lots of baskets that you use to store stuff in. I love baskets!
- There’s something on nearly every flat surface in the house, and it’s not HGTV décor.
- You use the aforementioned baskets to clear off flat surfaces when company’s coming. Hey, doesn’t everybody?
- You lose the stuff in said baskets after company leaves, because you don’t remember where you stashed the basket. Don’t laugh, it really happens.
- You own several de-cluttering and organizational books that haven’t been taken off the shelves in years.
- You frequently lose something under a pile of magazines, papers, or crafting projects. Lost my Kindle twice this way.
- When you start organizing, you begin with the swiffer duster, because the pile hasn’t been touched in months and there’s a layer on dust on it thick enough to make a horse sneeze.
- You easily have a thousand emails in your queue, and you don’t want to part with any of them in case you need them—because they are your filing system.
- You decide it’s time to buy a new house because you don’t have any more room, and it will force you to organize everything for the move.
I’ve not done number 1 on the list—yet, but I’ve been guilty of the rest. I don’t know about you, but after reading this list, I think I should crack open those organizational books and take a whack at all my stuff. I’m going to need a few more trash bags.
What about you? What’s your favorite organization tool, tip, or terror? I’d love to know.
About the Author:
Award winning author Catherine Castle has been writing all her life. Before beginning her career as a romance writer, she worked part-time as a freelance writer. She has over 600 articles and photographs to her credit, under her real name, in the Christian and secular market. Besides writing, Catherine loves traveling with her husband, singing, and attending theater. In the winter, she loves to quilt and has a lot of UFOs (unfinished objects) in her sewing case. In the summer, her favorite place to be is in her garden. She’s passionate about gardening and even won a “Best Hillside Garden” award from the local gardening club.
Her debut inspiration romantic suspense, The Nun and the Narc, from Soul Mate Publishing is an ACFW Genesis Finalist, a 2014 Beverly Hills Book Award Winner, a 2014 EPIC finalist, a 2014 RONE nominee and a Carolyn Readers Choice Award finalist.
- Catherine’s website: http://catherinecastle1.wordpress.com
- Catherine’s blog: http://catherinecastle1.wordpress.com/blog/
- Amazon author page: http://www.amazon.com/author/catherinecastle
- Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7085414.Catherine_Castle
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/AuthorCCastle
- Facebook: http://facebook.com/catherinecastleauthor
- Stitches Thru Time: http://stitchesthrutime.blogspot.com/
- SMP authors blog site: https://smpauthors.wordpress.com/category/news-from-the-castle/
Buy links for The Nun and the Narc
- Amazon: http://amzn.com/B00CHU9DH2
- Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-nun-and-the-narc-catherine-castle/1116942061?ean=9781619352964