A Midsummer’s Garden Update

We’ve had record heat and rain this summer, but it’s all come in gullywashers, not the regular afternoon rains we’re used to. So, the garden hasn’t flowered as much as normal. Part of this is due to needing to divide plants. The agapanthus and ginger were both choking, their root balls had grown so big and knotted.

Did I mention I was converting the garden into a monarch habitat? The milkweed I got from Lowe’s went to seed early and had to be trimmed; the seedlings that came by mail are just now starting to thrive. So far I’ve attracted 4 Monarchs and a couple of banded orange butterflies. I’ve also got milkweed bug!

It’s the part no one mentions. Trying to cultivate butterflies also means cutting back on insecticide, so we’ll just have to see what happens. Until it cools off some, the milkweed bugs aren’t in danger of my rounding them up!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “A Midsummer’s Garden Update

Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: